Baltimore is the city that Bed Bugs love. Baltimore is the city with the most bedbug treatments. According to Orkin one of the top pest control companies. Orkin is a leading company with their training programs. They rank in the Top 125 list in Training Magazine.
Baltimore ranked the atop of Orkin’s annual Top 50 Bed Bug Cities List, a ranking of metro areas based on the number of bed bug treatments the pest control company performed. This year’s list, released Tuesday, is based on visits from Dec. 1, 2015 to Nov. 30, 2016. Washington, D.C., came in second followed by Chicago and New York.
These pests are starting to become a real problem, said Ron Harrison, Orkin entomologist and director of technical services. And they aren’t limited to mammoth metropolises. Mid-sized cities in the South, Midwest, West Coast and even Hawaii made this year’s top 50 list.
The fact is, nearly all the nation’s pest professionals have had to deal with the little buggers. More people are affected by bed bugs in the United States now more than ever before. They were virtually unheard-of in the U.S. 10 years ago.
Bed bugs aren’t evidence of poor hygiene or cleanliness. Anyone can get them. All they need is blood to survive and they’re also good travelers, often hitching a ride on luggage, purses and other items during travel. Besides bedrooms, the critters are spotted at movie theaters, in public transportation, offices and libraries.
Orkin has treated bed bugs in everything from million-dollar homes to public housing, said an Orkin representative.
Bed bugs are hard to detect. At full growth, they’re the size of an apple seed. The first signs of an infestation are the bugs themselves or the small dark stains they leave.
How You Can Combat Bed Bugs:
– Inspect your home, especially around the bed. Decrease clutter. Inspect furniture before it enters your home and dry linens on high heat.
– Survey hotel rooms while traveling. Peek in hiding spots in the mattress, box spring and other furniture. Keep luggage away from the wall. Examine your luggage while repacking and place dryer-safe clothing in the dryer on the highest setting when arriving home.
– If you suspect an infestation you can save money by doing it yourself. Here are a few products that are great and you can order online.
The Top 20 Bed Bug Cities List:
2. Washington, D.C.
4. New York
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Los Angeles
10. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
11. Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
12. Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
13. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio
15. Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
18. Buffalo, N.Y.
19. Charlotte, N.C.
20. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va.
We have to be vigilant when it comes to Bed Bugs. We have to be careful where we stay and where we go. Like I said they are good travelers and they can catch a ride on anything. Luckily there are great DIY products available for you to save money and get the job done.
Gone are the days when professional pest control companies where the only option we had but, not anymore. So, be part of the solution to the problem of Bed Bugs because, you deserve a good nights sleep.
Thanks, For Reading